Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Book Review: The First Phone Call From Heaven


The First Phone Call From Heaven
by Mitch Albom

The First Phone Call from Heaven tells the story of a small town on Lake Michigan that gets worldwide attention when its citizens start receiving phone calls from the afterlife. Is it the greatest miracle ever or a massive hoax? Sully Harding, a grief-stricken single father, is determined to find out. An allegory about the power of belief-- and a page turner that will touch your soul. 




First, you must all know that I have been a huge fan of Mitch Albom, more than I am a fan of John Green, David Levithan and JK Rowling. To the point that If I had pursued Creative Writing over Medicine, I want to write novels like he did. 

So this book is going to be no surprise: I am in love with this book. As much as I loved The Five People You Meet In Heaven. And again, Mitch Albom has outdone himself again. I was crying while reading this book. and I've never had done that before. Its moving, its very touching and it makes you want to believe. I guess people who don't, now do because of this novel. If you look at it, the whole thing from afar, after reading it. It seems shallow and a little less complicated than when you were reading it. But that's the magic of it. You would think that there's more behind all the supposed miracles but the hard truth is, its simple and not complicated. You would think there's this huge climax at the end explaining all the phenomenon, but all you did was cry and cry because that's what people do when they lost someone and they get a piece of them back. 

I think this are the kind of books that should be turned into movies. No hate. I don't think Mitch Albom will allow that his story be turned into something that will not capture the real essence of what he was trying to tell in his stories. It will move the world. Its so good that even if you're trying to follow more than 5 train of perspectives, it still all makes sense. and it all ends into a higher ending. It all leads to stronger faith. It may scare us, it may lead to more doubts, but it will all clear the path ahead.

Maybe because I am biased, but let not this too good to be true review hinder you from picking this one up because if there's any bandwagon you should follow, its this book. 

Rating: 10/10


0 comments:

Post a Comment