Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars


The Fault In Our Stars
by John Green

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has brought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten 
SPOILER ALERT!


I am deeply aware that anything I would have written here can already be read anywhere with regards to John Green's books. So instead of criticizing the book, let me just share the experience I went through. I literally bawl over this book beginning with Augustus' prefuneral. I loved Isaac's and Hazel's eulogy. Fuck, I could literally see the whole damn thing myself happening. I never thought losing a friend could be that hard. I always thought that nothing will hurt as much as losing family. I guess, I just have to be there to know it. In a far and fast moving world, I guess, I've always believed that there really is no time to get stuck in the memory of someone who will never come back. But most of you have to agree with me, this book changes that belief. It changed my many perspective towards fear, towards, forever, even towards death and friendship and love. I mean that alone means something and it spells YOU'VE GOT TO READ THIS BOOK, ITS WORTH IT. 

I have to say, the trend mostly ruined it for me. everyone was gushing about it and posting quotes on the net and printing shirts with mostly pure spoilers, and I have managed to keep my distance. for some while before reading this book, I've been in an awkward I-Hate-This-Book phase even if I haven't read it. I hate that its going to be a movie and I hate that beyond all of that, I am a John Green fan, and I've kind of read all his other books which did not gather as much attention and loved it all. and knowing that, somehow, someday and who knows when I will read TFIOS even if I hate it. There was a good reason to hate it though, but all that combined is nothing compared to why you could never hate it really. 

Unlike many others, I don't see Augustus Waters as the book perfect boyfriend, if ever, he's the best book best friend who fell in love with her best friend. Those are two entirely different things. He was developed such that he understands where other characters are coming from, he's got a knack for knowing what would his friends feel better of themselves and I think all his efforts are well worth it at the end. Even if he's greatest achievement was to "strongly and bravely fight his own cancer battle."

I think Hazel was prepared more than anything else. She was ready to go and she doesn't want to hurt more people at the end so she secluded herself. For me, that was brave. People think its snarky or hateful or snob but I guess when you know you're dying, you tend to try get everyone's attention and marvel at the feeling. But she knows the truth, she knows that after her, life goes on and it won't stop because she died and so what was all the point.

I like how An Imperial Affliction is the answer to any of our bubbling question. Will Hazel die? will she get better? if she dies, will her parents want another child? What will happen to Isaac after egging her ex girlfriend's car? will he find another girl who will be true to their promise? I loved that when you realize it all, there's no use in asking.

and in that note my friends, I regret to say, I am glad, I get to read this book and that I'm perpetually wrong that the book's hype was nothing but people trying to please others. 

Rating: 9.7/10

PS. this maybe the last of the books I'm reviewing since the beginning of my dreaded Fill in the Gap challenge. I am so scorned! but do trust that if a book as good as this comes along my way, I will preach it here! In between projects or not!

PSS. I am not feeling guilty at all for all my spoilers in fact, I think I'll even be posting my favorite quotes in another post and though that ruined it for me and almost had me not reading this book,  I swear, with or without spoilers, this book will make you cry litters of tears. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment