Saturday, May 17, 2014

Book Review: To All The Boys I've Loved Before


To All The Boys I've Loved Before
by Jenny Han

To all the boys I've Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day, Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.


This is some swoon-worthy, aww-worthy, light and fluffy read. Just the kind of book you need to read after an intense, suspense -thriller that is Hannibal. I've read this book in one sitting with no inkling how I will have to reread some parts of the books so I could just relieve those moments more precisely. Its like high school all over  again. I feel so much for Lara Jean. First, she's a writer. she uses it as therapy, to soothe her aching heart except I don't make love letters in the most literal sense, with addresses and stamps ready to be shipped! then, there's this part how on how she felt her clothes was (using them too much because you really liked it to the point that one day, it just feels garbage.)  More than all of that, Lara Jean is a family person, a home body. She loves her sisters so much that all she wanted to do when Margot left was to be at least half the sister that Margot was to her. So I totally disagree with other reviews that there was no character development in this novel. In fact, Lara Jean grew up to be mature, independent, sociable person that she was not when she was too busy hiding under her older's sister shadow. 


Then there's Peter. The Boyfriend material Peter. When I first met him, I was so sure this Peter was just some jock. no personality. but at the end I was rooting for him. He seems douche-y in the beginning but he's so nice alright? 

I know that this is the kind of a play safe material for authors: it all started as fake but then grew to develop true feelings for each other. It may sound boring even. But Jenny Han was able to make it above interesting and past cliche. I think it was an important factor that the whole charade was still based on some level of truth, and that it was placed in a setting where everyone important was voicing out. The father-daughter relationship is one highlighted theme. Sibling relationship are elaborated as well, and now that I mentioned it, doesn't Jenny Han loves family drama? the confrontation scene with the two has all the feels which makes it more heart wrenching. Because we can never choose the family we want. but whatever happens, family will always be family and they will always be there to forgive and maybe forget too because who knows. 

and unlike other reviews, I don't find the author's style of writing to be too childish, and annoying. in fact I think she narrated it very well. There are books were almost all the conversations were shouting inside my head. In this particular instance though, I was working with her at the same wavelength. 

Now this part almost broke my heart. Imagine how I was reading this whole book, giggling all to myself, smiling and at some point blushing because this book was just the right amount of cheesy when I stumble to an ending super similar to Eleanor and Park. I mean, was that it? No closure? And I felt relieved to know there's a second book coming up. Only, its going to be published in 2015. too much torture, I know. 

On an even more brighter side, don't we just love the cover? 

RATING: 9.5/10

PS. You could also find this review in my Goodreads account provided link at the left side. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment